Surgical Instruments Left In The BodyHave you been the victim of surgical negligence?
Surgical Instruments Left in the Body
During surgery, theatre staff are trained to ensure that all surgical instruments used during an operation are accounted for, and that patients aren’t sutured until such checks are carried out and all instruments removed from the body.
Although every day thousands of operations are carried out successfully across the UK, very often turning around the lives of patients and ridding them of very painful conditions, regrettably mistakes can and do happen.
All surgical instruments, clips, swabs and sutures that are used during surgery, as well as scissors, needles or pins need to be removed from a patient’s body before they come around after the operation. If left inside the body this can result in significant pain for the patient and could lead to them developing serious infections. Sharp surgical instruments such as needles, scissors and scalpels could also go on to cause further injury to the organs. Some instruments left inside a patient’s body – most commonly sponges – often aren’t detected unless a patient reports pain or develops an infection. At times, patients will endure years of discomfort but are unaware of what’s causing it until an X-ray or scan exposes the surgical instrument left inside the body.
At Mercury Legal Online we have years of experience in helping victims of clinical negligence. If you or your loved one has suffered pain or further injury after an operation due to surgical instruments or foreign objects being left inside the body, you might be entitled to make a claim for compensation. To discuss your individual case, please call our experienced and knowledgeable clinical negligence solicitors today on 0800 122 3130 or contact us online here.
Claiming For Medical Negligence Compensation
Two years ago a tragic accident on a roller coaster left several young people severely injured; in Leah Washington’s case she lost her leg while others suffered smashed knees and other horrific injuries. The accident happened on the ‘Smiler’ ride at Alton Towers when...read more
The demolition of a Victorian school in Shefford has sparked outrage in the local community due to fears of asbestos contamination. When developers recently demolished the old Shefford Lower School buildings neighbours reported that the dust cloud was higher than the...read more
A former midwife who spent 30 years of her working life at the Heartlands Hospital died as a result of mistakes made during surgery at the same hospital. Lynda Simmonds, a 61-year old grandmother of two, visited her doctor in March 2013 suffering from stomach pains...read more