Select Page

A Dunston man has died of mesothelioma after being exposed to asbestos through his job.

98-year-old William Key, known to his loved ones as Bob, spent his whole career working for firm Chubb Locks in Wolverhampton. The role, which he began in 1933 and ended in 1980, saw him installing asbestos linings into safes and wearing asbestos gloves, too.

The inquest, which took place at Cannock Coroner’s Court, heard how Mr Key had been taken ill last May. He passed away at his Dunston home in December.

His son, Richard, told the inquest: “He was very active, still driving his car and handling all the paperwork to do with it.

“He was very independent and always went out and about on his own and did his own shopping.

“The illness took all that away from him very, very quickly.”

In forming his verdict, South Staffordshire coroner Andrew Haigh said: “Mesothelioma is an absolutely horrible condition for which there is no effective treatment, and is nearly always associated with asbestos dust.

Concluding that Mr Key passed away as the result of an industrial disease, Mr Haigh told his family: “Your dad was healthy until a good age and I am sorry that the mesothelioma caught up with him years after exposure.”