Select Page

A Hereford-based company that manufactures rubber sealants has been fined £40,000 and ordered to pay costs of nearly £7,000 after one of their workers developed allergic contact dermatitis through being exposed to sensitising ingredients in rubber compounds.

An investigation by the Health and Safety Executive found that the company had failed to suitably assess the risks caused by working with such chemicals and in addition, the company’s health and safety advisor had failed to understand the underlying issues to the level required for the company to understand its responsibilities.

TRP Polymer Solutions Ltd pleaded guilty of breaching Section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and regulations 6 and 11 of the Control of Substances Hazardous to Health 2002 (COSHH). In addition to this, their health and safety advisor pleaded guilty to breaching section 2 of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £1,000 and ordered to pay costs of £200.

There are several types of skin diseases which can occur from exposure to chemicals, the most common being contact dermatitis, within which there are two major types.

Firstly Irritant contact dermatitis which normally occurs at the time of exposure to the irritant, and secondly Allergic contact dermatitis which is a reaction by the body’s immune system and so can occur after the contact with the irritant has occurred. In addition there are several other common diseases:

  • Contact Urticaria is a transient immunological response of the skin that normally happens very swiftly upon contact with an irritant, but subsides swiftly afterwards
  • Folliculitis is the inflammation of the skin resulting from exposure to bacteria, fungi or viruses
  • Acne is the inflammation of the hair follicle that can result from exposure to an irritant
  • Mechanical skin disease is characterised by the mechanical trauma associated with particular tasks, especially repetitive functions.
  • Skin Neoplasia can result from exposure to some chemical and non-chemical carcinogens.

What to do if you suffer from skin disease

If you suffer from any kind of skin disease and you believe that it is directly linked to your job, then you could be entitled to claim for compensation. Firstly you should arrange to visit your doctor who will be able to help relieve the pain or discomfort. Secondly you should contact one of our experienced solicitors. They have dealt with very many of these types of cases over the years and will swiftly be able to tell you if you could have a claim, and if so how much compensation you might receive. Contact us today to see if we can get you the compensation you deserve.