Select Page

A man from Winchester died from malignant mesothelioma after being exposed to a large quantity of asbestos, an inquest has heard.

94-year-old Philip Hall, a retired chemist, passed away at his Stoke Charity in June. It is thought that he was exposed to asbestos dust through his work at a munitions factory in the 1940s.

Mesothelioma is a type of cancer which almost always develops as a result of asbestos exposure. The toxic chemicals create a thickening of the lining of the lungs and this then develops into a tumour.

Elizabeth Howlett Hall, Mr Hall’s daughter, said of her father’s death: “He very often used to tell us as children that heating in such a situation could not be by gas or open fire because of the rather large explosive components, so heating was by steam, pumped through the building through asbestos pipes.”

Deputy coroner for Central Hampshire, Simon Burge, concluded that Mr Hall died as the result of an industrial disease.