Select Page

A heating engineer died as a result of asbestos exposure 30 years ago, a coroner has ruled.

57-year-old Peter Edwards from Westbourne died in February after being diagnosed with mesothelioma last year.

An inquest, held in Chichester last Tuesday (7th April), heard Mr Edwards’ diagnosis described as ‘absolutely devastating’ for him and his family’.

Mr Edwards began working in Emsworth as an apprentice aged 15, installing, maintaining and repairing boilers in the local area and at the barracks on Thorney Island. As was common back in the 1970s and 80s, Mr Edwards had not been told of the dangers associated with working with asbestos and received no protective clothing to protect him from harm.

Mesothelioma is a form of lung cancer almost always related to asbestos exposure. The toxic chemicals cause a thickening in the lining of the lungs and this develops into a tumour. The disease has a particularly bleak outlook at pleasant.

The inquest heard how, prior to being diagnosed with mesothelioma, Mr Edwards had lived a healthy life. He didn’t smoke and had never needed to be admitted hospital prior to his diagnosis. Penelope Schofield, Senior coroner for West Sussex concluded that Mr Edwards had died as the result of an industrial disease.

If you or your loved one has suffered as a result of asbestos exposure and you need to discuss your legal options, we can help you. We understand that this will be a very difficult time for you and your family and our team of industrial disease solicitors are highly experienced in dealing with claims of this nature. To speak to one of our team today, please call 0800 122 3130 or contact us online here. You can also request a call at a time for you here.