A 75-year-old man from Hailsham died from an asbestos-related illness, an inquest has heard.
On 10th January, James Spencer was taken in to a hospice, but he died a week later as a result of his illness.
Eastbourne Magistrates’ Court heard that Mr Spencer worked as a specialist joiner. In an in-life statement, he gave details of his work as a shop fitter and carpenter, where he was exposed to asbestos dust on a number of occasions. A lot of his work was conducted in basements, where the pipes would be covered with asbestos lagging.
Mr Spencer later worked for Turner and Dean and was let out as a sub-contractor for Bell and Pearson. The work was overseen by East Sussex County Council and involving the cutting of soffits and boards made of asbestos sheets.
He was never given any information about asbestos, he said nor any protective equipment to shield him from the effects. At the end of each day he used to sweep up asbestos particles with a dustpan and brush.
Whilst a post mortem was not carried out, Coroner Alan Craze concluded that Mr Craze died as the result of an industrial disease in agreement with a nurse at St Wilfrid’s Hospice, where he was treated.