Select Page

Two former pharmaceuticals firms in Flintshire have been fined after they exposed staff to dangerous chemicals.

Archimica Chemicals admitted to six health and safety charges with Euticals, a firm which took over a site in Sandycroft from Archimica, accepting two charges given by Natural Resources Wales. Both firms have now gone bust, Mold Crown Court heard.

Worker Nigel Verdon endured brain damage as the result of one toxic leak, when he was exposed to methyl iodide. The chemical is normally used in the pesticide industry and is toxic if inhaled. Verdon was exposed to the chemical just six weeks after he began working at the factory as an agency worker.

He was provided with an air-fed respiratory mask and protective boots but was not given any overalls.
Total fines of £120,000 were given by judge Philip Hughes, with Archimica fined £80,000 and Euticals told it must pay £40,000.

If you have suffered an accident at work, our solicitors can help. Visit our dedicated website www.accident-atwork.com or call 0800 122 3130 to speak to one of our friendly team.