Anaesthetic Goes WrongWas your Anaesthetist at fault during your operation?
More often than not, operations in the UK are performed expertly, curing debilitating conditions and leaving patients free of pain. In this country we are very fortunate to have a highly-regarded NHS but regrettably, at times accidents can occur and when they do, they can be very serious indeed.
During a surgical operation anaesthetic is crucial. Administering anaesthetic and monitoring a patient’s consciousness requires a delicate balance, and although medical professionals will usually maintain this balance expertly, at times this is sadly not the case.
Finding yourself still conscious during a surgical operation can be both traumatic and frightening. Although rare, anaesthetic awareness errors can leave patients in a lot of pain and potentially lead to a number of serious psychological problems down the line, including anxiety, depression and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). These errors happen when a patient hasn’t received enough anaesthetic during the course of the surgery to remain unconscious, and can occur as a result of the anaesthetist miscalculating the amount needed or due to an error with the machinery that is administering the anaesthetic.
Anaesthetic errors can also refer to nerve and spinal cord injuries, when anaesthetics are injected into the spinal cord or nerves damaged by infections in error. These injuries can, at their worst, result in serious disability.
If you or your loved one has suffered as the result of an anaesthetic error, and you would like to discuss your legal options, please call us on 0800 122 3130 or contact us online.
Claiming For Medical Negligence Compensation
Two years ago a tragic accident on a roller coaster left several young people severely injured; in Leah Washington’s case she lost her leg while others suffered smashed knees and other horrific injuries. The accident happened on the ‘Smiler’ ride at Alton Towers when...read more
The demolition of a Victorian school in Shefford has sparked outrage in the local community due to fears of asbestos contamination. When developers recently demolished the old Shefford Lower School buildings neighbours reported that the dust cloud was higher than the...read more
A former midwife who spent 30 years of her working life at the Heartlands Hospital died as a result of mistakes made during surgery at the same hospital. Lynda Simmonds, a 61-year old grandmother of two, visited her doctor in March 2013 suffering from stomach pains...read more